Sunday, December 5, 2010

Native American Flutes Will Haunt You Too

It's important to me to remember the story behind something, intangible or not. Like the story of my scarf that went on an adventure around a friend's neck, how I got the broken pair of plastic red handcuffs, and the history of my subway token necklace. Music, although intangible, is no different.
I hadn't seen an old friend in probably over a year and we got together a month ago to catch up over wine in the dark den of his mom's house. Of course there was talk of music and as always, I wrote down some musical artists that he was inspired by. This list grew to about ten artists only one of which I've researched and instantly felt connected to, a Miss Mariee Sioux. The other nine artists I'll get to, just after I'm done being captivated by Mariee, which I hope continues for years to come. You know, I think I'm in the throws of a crush.
Mariee Sioux Faces in the Rocks 
2007 Grassroots Records
This, her first record-label release, instantly invaded my psyche. It was like the part in The Little Mermaid when Ursula steals Ariel's voice and like smoke, it slithers through the air into Prince Eric's eyes, putting him into a trance. Uh...Except this puts me in a good trance. I mean, look at the mystical album cover art. It's totally something I would fall in-love with. 
Although her last name Sioux and distinct use of the Native American flute denote a tie to that culture, from what I've researched, she not eligible for a Native American college scholarship. After hearing this Native American-inspired/folk/Fairy Tale journey I wish more artists would draw upon the sounds of our country's much-suppressed culture. Her delicate acoustic guitar picking style and breathy vocals always transport me to some mystic Rocky Mountain hillside only for me to realize at album's end, that here I am in the suburbs of Dallas. Next album, please! 

No comments:

Post a Comment